The Santa Rosa Indian Reservation is located in Riverside County, between Palm Springs and Anza, and occupies 11,021 acres of land.
- The Reservation is composed of four non-contiguous parcels; the largest being located in the area of Sew’ia, or New Santa Rosa (Vandeventer Flat) where residents of the Reservation reside. The three remaining parcels, which include Toro Peak where the Tribe operates a telecommunications relay station, are located east of the main parcel.
- Elevation ranges from 4,200’ elevation at Sew’ia (Cahuilla name for “New” Santa Rosa) to 8,700’ elevation at Toro Peak.
- Currently, there are 110 recognized Tribal Members (18 and over).
- Approximately 70 individuals live on the Reservation.
- The General Council (which consists of adult members 18 years of age and older) elects a Tribal Council for two-year terms. The Tribal Council consists of a Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary, Treasurer and three Councilmembers.
- The people of Sew’ia are one of eight Cahuilla Bands which include Cahuilla, Ramona, Los Coyotes, Torres-Martinez, Augustine, Cabazon, Agua Caliente, and Morongo.
- The Santa Rosa Band of Cahuilla Indians are the direct descendants of three Cahuilla clans that occupied the areas of Toro Peak, Coyote Canyon/Anza Borrego, Garner Valley, Pinion and present day Santa Rosa Reservation. During winter months the clans would occupy the lower desert canyons. During the harsh summer months, the clans would move to the cooler elevations of Toro Peak and Weh’het Now’ha (Center of the Pines/Middle of the Pines), now referred to as “The Old Village” or “Old Santa Rosa.”
- These three clans were the Guanche-pakiktem, Costai-kiktem and Sawish-pakiktem.
- The Santa Rosa Reservation was established by Executive Order in February, 1907.